I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the Lord
Psalm 27: 13-14

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Surgery delayed...ugh!

OK, this will be brief as we will be heading back to hospital shortly. We got to the hospital early Thursday morning for Evan's surgery only to find out that his Nutrafil level had dipped again which made the surgeon uncomfortable to proceed without a hemotology consult. Well of course that would be the day that there was no hemotologist available to look at Evan's blood smear. So...surgery was cancelled. I had a melt down. Not because I WANT the surgery, but just because it is another delay and more to worry about. Evan's neo-doctor really doesn't think that the blood result is anything other than something preemies white blood cells do which is dip and rise. He doesn't think it is due to a looming infection because Evan is otherwise completely healthy. Sooooooo, that's good anyhow. The only part that really SUCKS is that the surgeon doesn't have an opening for another 2 weeks. The good part...as long as the hemotologist agrees with the neonatologist about Evan's blood work then he can come home on Monday. BUT, if there IS a concern that maybe there is a hidden infection somewhere then he will be kept and put on IV antibiotics. So another delay...but at least we'd know he was going to be stronger in the end. What stinks about being discharged and then going back for surgery is that Evan won't be back in the NICU but in little ped's. It will be really hard for me to face a whole new bunch of nurses when I've come to love everyone in the NICU! Oh well...like Dr. Wonko says, I just have to "get over it" because it will be such a brief stay. And that those feelings are VERY common with NICU parents who have to go to little peds. No offense to the other ward, it's just that I know the nurses in NICU KNOW Evan and love him...so it makes it harder for me. So, that's it in a nut shell. I was very discouraged Thursday and yesterday. Then today because we had been told that Evan would be discharged today pending the answer from this hemotologist we got the car seat in the car, the diaper bag packed and we were ready to start our lives together at home. So when I got there and saw the look on one of the nurses faces...I knew. But, I had prepared myself for this result so I didn't completely lose it. In the meantime, IF Evan is released from the hospital prior to surgery PLEASE I am asking for HUGE prayers that he will not develop any complications with the hernia's so we don't end up in the Peds ER for emergency surgery. That is really freaking me out. Anyhow, I better run. I will keep you all posted on Monday. Hopefully with fun news. But whatever will be will be.


  1. Oh Heather, honey, I'm sorry for all the confusion & delays. Praying that Evan is strong enough to spend the time until the surgery at home.

    And praying for your heart as well.


  2. Sorry to hear that it was cancelled. I got to bring Jesse home for awhile before his last surgery and it was great. the peds side is good too but i know how you feel. gotta love Dr. Wonko. and i know that it's not a good feeling to depend on certain people for o long and then all of a sudden get switched, it's a scary thing but it will be ok and soon he will be home and you won't have to worry about anything anymore.

  3. Hey Heather! I'm sorry the surgery got canceled...I can understand not wanting any more delays! Praying that Evan got to come home yesterday and looking for news! HUGS!